I have known (through experience) for a long time that Story Points are a great way for teams to estimate their work. However it hastaken me a long time to come up with an explanation that can convey what I already knew. If you are interested in that explanation, then please read on.
Story Points vs. Ideal Days
- Complexity – Difficulty, hard algorithms, complex logic extra, abstract concepts.
- Effort – Raw effort / grunt work. I.e. Making a simple parameter change to hundreds of similar method calls.
- Doubt – Uncertainty around how will we build it or what it is that we need to build.
Here is an example that illustrates my point
graduates, while our experienced Senior Developers worked on Story A. In this scenario Story A is completed in 1 day, while our graduates will struggle on eventually delivering Story B after 30 days! While the Size of the Story remained the same the Duration to complete them varied dramatically based on who worked on the Story.
Estimation vs. Commitment
Interested in estimation?
- Fast Estimation
- Story Points are only one third of the reason to estimate
- Top Tips for Planning Poker